May 24, 2017, 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM @ This class is held in the lower level training room in the KAC building. Street Parking only.
101 Interpersonal Skills and Effective Communication
Excellent customer service requires strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills. Employees must develop these skills to effectively meet the needs of the public. In this course participants will:
• Examine the necessity for strong interpersonal skills to effectively respond to public service needs
• Assess listening skills and discuss active listening techniques to improve service delivery
• Learn to recognize different communication styles to better understand co-workers and the public
• Explore new and improved methods and technologies for communicating with the public
• Understand the need for transparency and openness in government and communications
• Identify new organizational and planning skills to improve efficiency of employees and departments
Taught by Teresa Schwab, KU Public Management Center
May 24, 2017, 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Property taxes are the largest and most important revenue source funding county services. They have also been described as the “most hated” tax. Counties are integral to the system of property tax administration, beginning with the discovery and valuation of property for tax purposes. Kansas’ system of property tax administration involves the Kansas Division of Property Valuation (PVD) and counties. A complex set of laws help ensure a fair and equitable system.
The KAC is hosting a series of Regional Suppers across Kansas with invited guests from PVD making presentations about the “what, why and how” behind the valuation of all classes of property. We'll answer your questions about agricultural value and the “rolling average”, market value, oil and gas valuation, fixtures, or the process of appointing county appraisers, our Regional Suppers will provide an
opportunity to better understand Kansas’ property tax system.